Rhythm

Posted by Anthony North on January 24, 2013

I love music but I cannot read and listen
together. It’s like having 2 lovers. Best
done one at a time. The MicroNovel below
has a rhythm all its own.

RHYTHM
A Wotdunit MicroNovel
by
D.I. Cass Nova
***

Ch 1. A Box – an oubliette? The rhythm of life beats away, & beat me good. He watches me from the hatch, his eyes piercing me. My Nemesis!!

Ch 2. Rhythms can be bad, pulsing through life & sanity. Where do I begin? I always felt boxed in. Until I met Sue. Joy! Then. Oh, why!!?

Ch 3. Can a serial killer stalk a person? Of course, when Sue was found, murdered, mutilated, I didn’t know who he was. But life soon told.

Ch 4. What do we strive for? Lying in the box, HIM staring down, I wonder. Why did I get over Sue so quick? Wasn’t she enough. Did HE know?

Ch 5. Afterwards, I got on with life. Lived the rhythm. Money, women – it all came to me. It took the police to tell me why. So many deaths!

Ch 6. He offers a sickening grin. The police never found him – couldn’t be sure they were murders or accidents. He got clever after Sue.

Ch 7. But why? What made him do it? I set a trap. A stooge to coax him in. He struck! But first attacked me. When I awoke I was bloodsoaked.

Ch 8. It looked bad for me. I hid the body. Became an accomplice. I battled with conscience, of course. I was a good person, I knew. But …

Ch 9. What drove me on, I don’t know. The killer was now so often by my side. Yet with all we did then, my success declined. No rhythm, see.

Ch 10. I didn’t take well to poverty. It was as if a part of me had gone & I couldn’t find myself. My new rhythm was a cacophony of conflict.

Ch 11. I wandered, a tramp, asking if it had all been worth it. People I asked ignored me – felt me mad. How dare they? Was that the problem?

Ch 12. To be ignored – the worse thing of all. I wasn’t someone but had to become someone. That was my rhythm – and now? I hear my dirge.

Ch 13. A Box. I lay in my coffin, my suicide done, victim to my own urges, my Hell? Their – MY!! – killer watching me for eternity; my Ego.

You’ve read them. Now Meet the Team
More MicroNovels here

Theme Thursday
Booking Thru Thursday
Hyde Park Thurs
Thursday 13

I, DETECTIVE
by Anthony North
Free eBook
5 Detectives, 16 Crime Stories
Download FREE to most apps & devices
If you like, tell your friends

29 Comments

1. Gigi Ann said on January 24, 2013

LOL…love your answer. I don’t listen to music while I read either.

2. sandy said on January 24, 2013

cacophony of conflict I like that rhythmn

3. Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said on January 24, 2013

Clever answer! I don’t read and listen at the same time either. Well, on purpose anyway!
    2 Kids and Tired Books BTT

4. Anthony North said on January 24, 2013

Hi Gigi Ann, many thanks for that.

Hi Sandy, many thanks. Glad you liked it.

Hi Holly, no, two loves can be distracting.

5. betty said on January 24, 2013

That was an interesting rhythm of the chapters and how they flowed together. Like you, it is challenging to listen to music and read at the same time; I prefer the quiet of a house when reading.

enjoy the day!

betty

6. Anthony North said on January 24, 2013

Hi Betty, yes, me too. Thanks for that.

7. 4joy said on January 24, 2013

totally unique, as always….

8. Anthony North said on January 24, 2013

Hi 4joy, many thanks for those kind words. Much appreciated.

9. Adelle Laudan said on January 24, 2013

I sometimes listen to music when I’m looking for inspiration. Usually I write in complete silence. The MicroNovel is amazing. Thanks for sharing. Happy T13!

10. Anthony North said on January 24, 2013

Hi Adelle, thanks for that. Glad you liked it.

11. Tribute Books Mama said on January 24, 2013

No, I never did that.

12. Stephanie Sullivan said on January 24, 2013

Great list, Anthony. I can’t listen to music while I read either. Too distracting. Happy Thursday.

13. Anthony North said on January 24, 2013

Hi Tribute Books Mama, that’s good.

Hi Stephanie, many thanks for that.

14. Heather said on January 24, 2013

I sometimes listen to music while reading, but it depends on my mood and what I am reading, and only if the volumn is down low. Interesting micronovel. Thanks for visiting!

15. Anthony North said on January 24, 2013

Hi Heather, many thanks for that.

16. Pearl said on January 24, 2013

I’ve never see quite that format before. Interesting use of the medium of a list of 13.

17. Kay said on January 24, 2013

wow, i’ve never read a micro-novel before … fun and thought provoking. thanks for stopping by my blog – my list was quite simple in comparison lol

18. Shelley Munro said on January 24, 2013

Interesting TT! I start off by listening to music but always zone out, so no, I can’t listen to music and read either.

19. Zeee said on January 24, 2013

Funny answer, but true!

20. kandyblossom said on January 24, 2013

Very unique, I enjoyed reading that.

I must have silence when I am reading, I need to devote all of me to the story.

21. LadyInRead said on January 24, 2013

loved the rhythm in your microfiction, Tony..
    i often read with music in the background …but not dance music else my feet start moving and then reading is difficult with dancing:)

22. Anthony North said on January 25, 2013

Hi Pearl, many thanks for that.

Hi Kay, many thanks. Much appreciated.

Hi Shelley, I’m with you on that.

23. Anthony North said on January 25, 2013

Hi Zeee, thanks for that. Glad you liked it.

Hi Kandyblossom, many thanks. Yes, I need silence, too.

Hi LadyInRead, thank you. Yes, a bit difficult dancing with a book in hand.

24. Hazel said on January 25, 2013

Two lovers, lol. See we really do need to be faithful to just one, or at least one at a time 🙂

25. Anthony North said on January 25, 2013

Hi Hazel, we certainly do 😉

26. Mrsupole said on January 26, 2013

Hi Anthony,

I can listen to music while reading as long as it is quiet music without singing. But I will tune it out to a degree. Mostly I like complete silence.

As to the Chapters, love how they all connect and almost tell a story of their own. Just curious if he had an alter-ego and did not know it. The story does seem kinda sad in a way.

Thanks for sharing all this rhythm for this weeks Theme Thursday. Hope you are having a peaceful weekend.

God bless.

27. Anthony North said on January 26, 2013

Hi Mrsupole, thanks for that. I think he knew, but wouldn’t admit it.

28. David King said on January 30, 2013

I can read with music as a background. It can be a positive addition when I write – so long as it’s not vocal. Enjoyable read for which much thanks.

29. Anthony North said on January 30, 2013

Hi David, thanks for that. Much appreciated.