Every Psycho Should Write

Posted by Anthony North on January 20, 2011

I sit down to write, and so often I think, who shall I kill today? Who has really angered me – who deserves to die. Of course, I’m not thinking of real people, but characters I’ve devised. But isn’t there something of the real in all fiction?
Don’t worry, I’m not a psycho. I’m quite an easy going fellow – not so quiet that I build up and explode, but quiet enough. Rarely does a violent feeling rise inside me – except, so often, when I write.
I used to be short tempered, but that all seemed to change when I began to write. It was as if any aggression was channeled into the craft. And it seems to be a general rule. Writers, artists, musicians rarely kill, it seems. Yes, they can be erratic, but Caravaggio aside, I cannot think of one famous murdering creative type.
Writing, I think, should become a therapy all its own. It curbs your aggressions, and is perfect therapy for the mind. Now, how do I feel? A short story I think. All those characters. Do I feel God-like? I’ll kill them all.

SCRIBBLERS’ CLUB

I, CRIME WRITER
by Anthony North
Free eBook
Flash Fiction in crime genre
Download FREE to most apps & devices
If you like, tell your friends

5 Comments

1. tom alex said on July 24, 2011

I’m a chess afficianado. I read once that aggresive types play stolid chess and that passive types play aggresively.

2. Geraldine said on March 15, 2013

What fun it was to browse and read some of your writing tips here today Tony. This is true for me too, writing is therapy of the very best kind. No drugs, no $$, but effective every time. I’m going back to check out more on your list, thank you!

3. Anthony North said on March 15, 2013

Hi Geraldine, many thanks. Hope you find them useful.

4. David King said on April 4, 2013

The ideal occupation for a manipulative type, wouldn’t you say?

5. Anthony North said on April 4, 2013

Hi David, indeed. Infact I often say that storytelling is fraud for the law abiding.